Header

Saturday 22 February 2014

Chickens in the Garden


Backyard Chickens

Some of my chicken are lucky enough to wander the yard most days, only being locked up at night. Sometimes we have neighbour's cats wandering into our yard through the night.

I have great blocks of flowers in the yard. I'm always putting cuttings in, just to see if they will grow. Nearly all my garden has been planted with cuttings, even the buddleia trees. The hens wander around in this throughout the day. They look gorgeous.

By three o'clock each afternoon they come up to the back door to hoping for a treat. They are back again at six o'clock for their evening meal.

The Ritz

Recently we had a new chicken house built. The builder called it The Ritz. Our new chicks for this season have had the privilege of being the first fowls to occupy the residence. They are very happy in there.

What to do with the Roosters?

The trouble with breeding chickens is that you are going to get some roosters and they just don't lay eggs. Many Councils prevent you from keeping roosters. Let's face it, they are noisy, especially at 5am, everyday. They just never take a break.

So when all our young cockerels have shown their colours, they will disappear from our garden. Until the next year, when we have some more.

At the moment I think I have five hens out of eleven chicks. There are at least three roosters and three are of an undecided sex at the moment.


I have homes ready for any excess hens we might have so there will always be room for next years chicks. It's all lots of fun.

Enjoy the video one of my sons made for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment