Header

Friday 6 May 2016

Learning Crochet

When I was young - oh, those were the days - I used to do lots of knitting, crochet, and sewing. My Mum had shown me the basics of these skills and I developed them more. Although my Mum could crochet well, she could not read a crochet pattern so that was something I had to teach myself. 


My Mum who taught me to knit and crochet and sew

When I married, my babies were dressed in knitted clothes and lots of crocheted clothes. I even crocheted a fancy jumper for my husband. He thought that was a bit much, although he wore it a few times - not enough for all the work I put into it. Oh well! 

I made jumpers and vests, ponchos and the must do - Granny square rugs and bedspread.

Years marched on and the needles and hooks were put aside. I suppose crocheted garments went out of fashion. But now it is back again and I have taken up my hook again and expanded my skills. 

I love crocheting baby clothes, especially those with fine yarn. I notice these days the infiltration of 8ply yarn being used for these delicate clothes. In my opinion, it is too coarse. I think it is probably to get the article made more quickly. But there is nothing nicer than a delicate fabric with a fine, lacy pattern.


Lacy baby cardigan or jacket in 5 ply yarn

For the toddler, thicker wool can be used. Their skin is not as delicate and the thickness of the item does not pose a problem. 


Toddler's jacket for a 2 year old with vintage buttons from my Mum's button tin

I also like trying out different stitches, remembering favourites from days long ago, and also learning new ones.  


Beanies come in all shapes and sizes these days. I love playing with colour. Can you guess what my favourite colours might be?

Pastel beanie for a little girl, with flower
More crochet yarns next time. Cheers.

Follow me on instagram for more crochet photos @tossyv 

No comments:

Post a Comment